My New Invention!
It started with uploading a picture for my IPad of Walt Disney and Shirley Temple. Â The page that came up included a recipe for Shirley Temple cupcakes, which Katherine and I decided to try while she was out visiting this weekend. Â
Well, being the big tea and scone fans that we are, in addition to being big Shirley Temple fans (the person), we got to talking and I decided we should figure out how to make them. Â We came up with several ideas and then I started in experimenting with ingredients and a recipe. Â The first try was much too healthy. Â The second try was much too generic. Â The third time was the charm! Â So, this weekend I invented Shirley Temple Scones!
I am sharing the recipe but give credit please! 🙂
- 2 1/4 C. flour
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- zest of one lemon
- 6 Tbsp chilled butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. milk (I used half & half)
- 2 tsp grenadine
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh or maraschino cherries (I used some of both)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger) in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry fork until it is coarse crumbs
- Slowly add the fruit and lemon zest, mixing and coating with flour as you go (you don’t want it to be a stuck together blob)
- Mix the wet ingredients (milk, egg, grenadine) together. Â Make a well in the dry ingredients bowl and add the wet ingredients.
- Stir together until it forms a sticky dough. Â Do not overmix or add more flour.
- Drop on a silpat on a Â jelly roll pan OR use a scone pan.
- Bake for 12 min or until light brown crust. Â Makes 12-15.
- Serve warm with grenadine icing or favorite curd.