My New Invention!
It started with uploading a picture for my IPad of Walt Disney and Shirley Temple. The page that came up included a recipe for Shirley Temple cupcakes, which Katherine and I decided to try while she was out visiting this weekend.
Well, being the big tea and scone fans that we are, in addition to being big Shirley Temple fans (the person), we got to talking and I decided we should figure out how to make them. We came up with several ideas and then I started in experimenting with ingredients and a recipe. The first try was much too healthy. The second try was much too generic. The third time was the charm! So, this weekend I invented Shirley Temple Scones!
I am sharing the recipe but give credit please! 🙂
- 2 1/4 C. flour
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- zest of one lemon
- 6 Tbsp chilled butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. milk (I used half & half)
- 2 tsp grenadine
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh or maraschino cherries (I used some of both)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger) in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry fork until it is coarse crumbs
- Slowly add the fruit and lemon zest, mixing and coating with flour as you go (you don’t want it to be a stuck together blob)
- Mix the wet ingredients (milk, egg, grenadine) together. Make a well in the dry ingredients bowl and add the wet ingredients.
- Stir together until it forms a sticky dough. Do not overmix or add more flour.
- Drop on a silpat on a jelly roll pan OR use a scone pan.
- Bake for 12 min or until light brown crust. Makes 12-15.
- Serve warm with grenadine icing or favorite curd.