The Best Gifts Ever
Recently, at a Christmas party, I was asked about the best gifts I have ever given and the best ones I have gotten. I have been given more than my fair share over the years and since one of my love languages is gift giving, I had to think long and hard about this. I remember great and thoughtful gifts over the years and have many favorites! As I have ruminated on it even more I have come to realize that the best gifts I have ever received are not things. And, the best best gifts are all reflections of the best gift-giver – God! Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow James 1:17
All month I have been looking at the gifts the Bible talks about. They are not in any particular order and I cannot even list them all:
- The gift of Salvation – Eph 2:8,9 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
- The gift of Eternal Life – For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Rom 6:23 John 10:28
- A Savior – John 3:16.For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
- Living Water – Jesus answered and said to her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.” John 4:10
- The Gift of Grace – Eph. 4:7 But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it.
- Gifts of the Spirit- 1 Peter 4:10 As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
- Gift of Sustenance & meeting my needs – Gen 9:3 Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant.
- The Holy Spirit – If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?
- Wisdom – But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. – James 1:5
- The Gift of encouragement – (through the Word) – The Lord GOD has given Me the tongue of disciples, That I may know how to sustain the weary one with a word He awakens Me morning by morning, He awakens My ear to listen as a disciple. Is. 50:4
- A New Heart – Ez. 11:19 – And I will give them one heart, and put a new spirit within them And I will take the heart of stone out of their flesh and give them a heart of flesh // Jer. 24:7 I will give them a heart to know Me, for I am the LORD; and they will be My people, and I will be their God, for they will return to Me with their whole heart.
- Rest! – Matt. 11:28 Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
- A new name! (He knows me) – For thus says the LORD, “To the eunuchs who keep My sabbaths, And choose what pleases Me, And hold fast My covenant, To them I will give in My house and within My walls a memorial, And a name better than that of sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name which will not be cut off. Is 56:4,5, Rev. 2:17
- The Keys to the Kingdom/ Meaningful work/ trust – I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven Matt 16:19
- Security – John 10:28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand
- Peace – John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.
- The Crown of Life – Rev. 2:10 Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, so that you will be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life
- Power over the Evil One – Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing will injure you. Luke 10:19
- Forgiveness – Acts 13:38 Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you
- Joy – Neh. 12:43 And on that day they offered great sacrifices, rejoicing because God had given them great joy. The women and children also rejoiced. The sound of rejoicing in Jerusalem could be heard far away
- Abundant Life – John 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full
- Righteousness – For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ! Rom. 5:17
- Hope – Jer. 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Col. 1:27 – Christ in you – the hope of Glory!
- Heaven – Heb. 11:16 Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.
- The Word of God – Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith. Heb 13:7
- Strength – Phil 4:13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength
- Heart’s Desires – Ps. 37:4 Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
- Relationships – Gen 2:18 The LORD God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.
- Friendship – John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
- Reconciliation – 2 Cor 5:18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation
We cannot outgive God. We give because He gave. He gives only good things. We need to open the gifts and use them; Paul told Timothy to kindle it afresh. Jesus said, “From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” (Luke 12:48). I am overwhelmed by this!
2 Corinthians 9:15 Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!
Whoever tries to keep their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life will preserve it (Luke 17:33) The Parable of the Talents (Matt. 25:14-21)